Header Ads

9 health questions to ask yourself ahead of the new year - Omaha World-Herald (blog)








Tis the season for giving — and what better gift to give yourself than better health.

Before you start your new health journey, particularly with a new doctor, ask yourself some of these questions. The questions may vary by age and if you have chronic diseases or not.

1. What are my top goals this year? Would I like to maintain my weight, lower stress, exercise more, sleep better at night, get all of my preventive screening tests done, or stay healthy and out of the hospital?




2. Are my chronic issues, like diabetes or arthritis, in stable condition or do they rule my life?

3. Does my doctor and the team at the clinic know me and my goals, and are they trying to help me reach them?

4. Do I have a healthy way of coping with stress, or am I eating or drinking too much or taking drugs to ease emotional pain?

5. If I need psychological help or help dealing with stress in a more productive way, do I have the relationship I need with my healthcare team to ask for help?

6. Am I willing to have a complete physical and get “all my issues” on the table to make a plan to start healing?

7. When I go to the doctor for my physical, can I bring all of my medications and supplements I’m taking to compile a single list that is understood by everyone who cares for me?

8. Have I talked with my family and my health care team about possible “what if” scenarios? Things to consider are end of life and organ donation decisions and what happens in the event of an accident. This is especially important if your wishes change over time.

9. Do I have the support system around me to help me achieve my goals? If I don’t, who can help me?

Were you able to answer “yes” to more questions than “no”?

If you didn’t, don’t worry. It is never too late to start on a journey to better health.

Will it be hard and stressful at times? Yes. But there are literally thousands of doctors out there, as well as support systems in the community, to help you do this. They are caring, compassionate and have dedicated their lives to helping you live your best life.

But the bottom line is that you have to want that. Your family and health care professionals can help you, but it’s ultimately up to you to make it happen.

So are you living your best life? And if you aren’t right now, are you willing to do what it takes to get there?








No comments :

Powered by Blogger.